Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

After reading the article, Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior, I really thought a lot about what Amy's husband said. He explained that it isn't a child's job to spend their lives repaying their parents. I love my parents and I help them out as much as I can so I can't fully agree with what this man said. We (children) didn't choose to be born and we didn't get to choose our parents or family but neither did our parents. Of course they chose to become pregnant and start a family but they didn't get to say, "I want my kid to be this, this, and this." I think as children it is one of our responsibilities to help out and listen to our parents. On the other hand, our parents shouldn't be making every single choice for us. Mothers and fathers need to give us freedoms, that's how we as kids learn to grow up.

Honestly, I believe that the way Chinese mothers raise their children is somewhat wrong. It could be that I'm not used to that and I've never been around that type of parenting, but it's a little different. Pushing children to the very extreme, like she did while helping her daughter with piano, seems unethical. Children need breaks and to walk away from something for awhile. All humans need that, not just children. I think these mothers are building a strong person and an involved person, I also think though that the Chinese mothers could do this in a less intense way.

In my opinion, if I was called garbage by my mother or father I would be so upset. I don't believe it would help raise my self-esteem. As kids grow up, there are a lot of things in the world that can make a child feel vulnerable or drop their self-esteem. Hearing something that, plain and simple, would not make someone feel good. I think that with all of the different theories of Mead, Cooley, Piaget, and Freud they explain why the Chinese mothers act this way, or how this style of parenting helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment